Friday, July 27, 2012

Alright, time for another post! I can't believe that as of yesterday, I have two weeks left here in Williamsburg. I have quite a few things planned for the next two weeks and I'm looking forward to spending them with all of the amazing people I've met in Williamsburg.

This past week, I only had Monday and Thursday in the office. That was both a good and a bad thing. Even though I only had two days in the office, I still had to prepare my children's sermon, pastoral prayer, and prayer of thanksgiving for Sunday. I also had phone calls to make (which I dislike doing very much) and prepare for future music sessions. That's the boring stuff...the exciting stuff is what happened during Tuesday and Wednesday when I wasn't in the office.

I had the awesome opportunity to travel to Blackstone with Allie for her Provisional Residency Retreat. It was my first Blackstone experience, having heard wonderful things from Virginia Conference friends. If real life were like my experience this past Tuesday and Wednesday, I think the world would be a very happy place. Whenever we gathered for worship, everyone responded with such passion and resolve, it was truly powerful to witness. Obviously, I couldn't go to the covenant groups because those are confidential, but I did get to go the afternoon plenary session on the first day and a morning workshop and afternoon workshop on the second day. There were about 90-100 provisional members at this retreat, which was amazing. During the plenary session, we talked about being. We talked about how our doing stems from our being, and to be an effective minister, we need to focus on who we are more than on what we do or how we do it. Since I've been focusing on self-care recently, I really needed to hear that message. The morning session that I went to focused on maturing spirituality, which was about different spiritual disciplines and self-care. The afternoon session was about inclusivity in the local church. I tried to take what they were talking about for the local church and apply it to campus ministry, since I am the inclusivity chair for JustFaith this coming year. I got to read and reflect and be in fellowship with the provisionals and it was a great way for me to make connections and learn about the ordination process from those going through it. All in all it was a great experience and I'm really glad that I got to go.

On Wednesday night, Kristin and I FINALLY got the chance to go to Busch Gardens, and we're planning on going back as many times as possible before I have to leave. I had a support group meeting last night, which are always a good time. We had a wonderful dinner and good discussion. I have one more support group meeting before I leave Williamsburg. I have two more music sessions in Respite care, two music sessions at a retirement community in the area, and I'm leading two worship services at another retirement community on August 5th as well as teaching sunday school that morning.

Well, I think that is enough of my ranting for now...I probably only have a few more posts left! Oh goodness...

1 comment: